Monday, December 6, 2010

"All I could imagine were the robber guys in the Christmas Story"

Hola familia y amigos! Well I know it has been a long time but not a whole bunch has happened. My dear cousin Alissa Jane wrote me an email telling me I haven't written a blog post since Halloween, so here we go!

After Halloween was my birthday and I got a really cute package from my mom with real American chocolate cake with frosting!! You don't find that in Chile EVER. Turns out just by chance that night that the 4 hermanas that are in Constitucion (who I used to live with) were on their way down and they needed a place to stay the night so they stayed at our house. It was so fun! It didnt last too long because we were all so tired. After the birthday we had Thanksgiving.. oh wait jk we didn't because it doesn't exsist in Chile. We wanted to do something that night when we got home but we all got home and were too tired so had some tomatoes, and avocados and bread and went to bed.

Now we are preparing for Christmas and when I say we...I mean everyone else. We are still doing our normal routine. Something I have noticed lately is that a lot of Chileans put their Christmas trees outside? I am not sure why, but it's fun to look at when we walk around! Usually you have to see part of a tree through a window and use your imagination for the rest, but not in Chile.

We are teaching some really good people right now. The gospel is a whole new thing to almost all of them so we are taking it slow. We had kind of a funny experience this week. So there's 4 main churches here: Evangelicos, Catolicos, Jehovah's Witnesses, and Mormons. So we went over to a girl's house that we contacted earlier in the week to share with her lesson 3, which is faith, repentance, baptism, Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. We got there and her mom was outside sweeping and she invited us in, and gave us a glass of cold Fanta. Then we started teaching and talking and getting to know them. The mom tells us she is a preacher for the evangelico church and that she invited us over because she wanted to see what we had to say and she didn't want to deny us because she wanted to respect all religions. KIND of scary. But it went totally fine, we taught the lesson and at the end the evangelico preacher lady asked us if she could borrow our lesson hahaha I thought that was pretty funny. But at the end, these two older ladies walk in and one of them just looks angry and very skeptical that we are there, like she recognized us right away. We kind of talked to them for a little while but we were on our way out and we asked them if they had any questions for us, and the one scary lady looks at me (she had really big nostrils and she was kind of squinting her eyes at me) and she says, "You are followers of Smith, huh?" haha. SCARY! But I just explained to her that we do not worship Joseph Smith; he did do something amazing by restoring the true church of God on the earth. Then the preacher lady goes, "You know what? I understand you guys because I am a prophet, too." My comp and I just kind of looked at each other and nodded our heads. The good thing about that lesson is that the lady loved us, and she is probably going to teach the doctrine of Christ in her church now hahaha.

We also had another really funny experience with this guy this week. We went over to his house to teach him after months of trying to find him after he came to church once. He is almost 80 I think. We got to his houise and yelled outside the gate, and he tapped on the window and just looked out and stared at me. I waved at him for awhile kind of wondering why he was just staring, then he goes to another window and sticks his head out. He says, "You'll have to climb through the window, I lost my keys" HA I don't think it would be possible even if I wasn't wearing a skirt, the fence we would had to have jumped was SO high and the window was too! Then we asked him when we could come back and he goes, "Wait just a second" and climbs out the window!! We were so scared he was going to fall. Once he gets out the window we see he is only wearing one shoe too, and we asked him where it went and he said he lost it. We asked him how he got in and he said he just jumped the fence! He was like 80!! That fence was so high! All I could imagine was the old guy in the six flags commercials or the robber guys in the Christmas Story. Almost died laughing right there. Then he asks us if we wanted to see his Bible, so he goes back to the window and reaches in, but cant grab it so he reaches further and further until just his legs were flailing out the window!! I died laughing, I couldnt help it. Oh Chile...I love it. People are so great here they are so funny.

I think being a missionary is one of the funnest/hardest things ever. But it's amazing at the same time. Anyways we have to go because my comp is trying to make rosemary bread... hope it turns out because it sounds delicious :) Love you all!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment