Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Barro

June 14, 2010

The word for mud in Spanish is barro, and that's what is EVERYWHERE right now. It really started to rain this week, and we have been walking around in mud. Actually, I am going to say its 30 percent mud, 70 percent dog poop, but luckily I have construcion man boots and rain coat. Last night was intense though...it was raining and the wind was blowing so hard the electricity went out in the whole city! I decided it was a blessing because I got really sick 2 days ago. So I said it was God telling me I could go home and rest. It's hard to do missionary work when no one has light. My comp and one of the other sisters did a split and I took drugs and went to bed. But we woke up this morning, and there was still no electricy and no water! I never realized how necessary both of those things are in the mornings. We really couldn't do anything until it was turned back on. Good thing its P-day today.

This weekend was crazy. We had Stake Conference in Talca and there were 12 baptisms planned!!!! Can you believe that?? It was like a mass baptism. Pres. Chavez came and everything. I think only 9 ended up actually getting baptized for different reasons...like someone got sick and another one couldnt make it--but still. Crazy. It was really exciting! Our ward rented a bus to drive everyone to Talca because we are 2 hours away, everyone needed a way to get there so that was really fun, too. They were changing Stake Presidents, too, so there was a 70 there. It was a very exciting day.

Funny story... I have been sick the past few days and yesterday we had to be at the church really early to catch the bus. So when we got there I was a little out of it. But here in Chile you have to greet every single person in a room when you walk in. Greet as in you have to give them a kiss and a hug, and for the men we give them handshakes. So we were walking around greeting everyone and I was just on a roll with all these ladies in the ward--hugs and kisses--and then I get to a guy in the ward and I KISSED HIM!!! hahahhaha He was like kind of almost pulling away and I was confused as to why he wasn't greeting me and then I realized that it was a MAN, and after I kissed him I said, "OH I FORGOT!" but in English, so he didnt understand me anyways. Right in front of the bishop and the whole ward. Pretttyy funny.

Anyways I have to go, but this week is cambios! I have officially finished one cambio on the mission. Sister missionaries generally get 11 so I am down to 10. I get a new companion tomorrow which is crazy because I BARELY knew this area!! But she is awesome, I already know because she was companions with Hna. Conley for forever! I am excited, it will be way fun. Also, the World Cup started this week. You can only imagine how craaaazy it is!!! Tomorrow Chile plays for the first time, but they are playing at 7 AM. The city I am in is really small but when we go to Talca they have a huge TV screen set up in the centro, a huge bus, and balloons everywhere. Everyone is super excited about it. I am so happy I get to be here for it!! Kinda sad we cant watch it, but it's okay. I think the Elders are a million times more sad. But I have to go!! Love you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment